Monday, July 15, 2013

Review: The Boyfriend App


The Boyfriend App
Title: The Boyfriend App
Author: Katie Sise
Pages: 312
Genre: Contemporary/Romance
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Review:

    The Boyfriend App is a charming book portraying the ideas of loss, hope, and of course high school romance. 

    The Boyfriend App follows the story of Audrey who is in her senior year of high school and desperately wanting to get out of her small hometown. But a couple years ago Audrey's father passed away and her mother is barely able to pay the bills making her chance at going to college very slim...unless she can get a scholarship. And just her luck a big company is holding a contest to see who can design the best mobile App and the winner gets a full scholarship to college. Audrey enters the contest immediately and starts brainstorming ideas. Audrey then comes up with the perfect App for any teenager,The Boyfriend App. But creating this App has more of an effect on her life than she ever thought possible.
     Most people told me that this book was just a fun fast read. But being completely honest it just dragged on and on for me. It did have it's good aspects of being funny and genuine in places but it just did not do it for me.
     A lot of the characters were great. My favorite was the protagonist, Audrey. She was relate able and had a touch of humor to her narration. I also liked her cousin Lindsay who was full of energy and opinions. Sise also created the perfect high school mean girl, Audrey's ex best friend Blake. But I also like how in the end Blake turned out to have somewhat of a good heart at times.
    The storyline originally sounded intriguing and fun to me. But after reading it I'm sad to say it didn't work. A lot of the book just did not seem very realistic to me and that made me enjoy it less. Parts of the book seemed over the top and exaggerated and kind of turned me off.
      The Boyfriend App I think had potential, with the unique plot and great characters but it just didn't come together.
2 Stars **




No comments:

Post a Comment